Thursday, September 8, 2011

A song for you...

I am not unlike many music enthusiasts, I listen to many "genres" of music. However, I have a particular fondness for music from the decades of 60's and 70's. This is in large part due to my loving parents raisin' me on tunes from the likes of The Beatles, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Statler Brothers, Merle Haggard, Don Williams, Gene Watson, Waylon Jennings and the list goes on and on...


One of my fondest memories of my youth is goin' to see a Waylon Jennings concert with my Dad. Thanks Dad. I am fortunate to have an older sister who influenced my musical tastes too. I credit her with bringin' the sweet sounds of the Violent Femmes into my life. Growin' up, my Dad sat many a day singin' and playin' tunes on a guitar. On many occasions, I remember askin' him to play the song, "Proud Mary" and boy let me tell you what, he could strum the rhythm of that song like no other. If you ask him, "Who is your favorite music artist?" undoubtedly, you will receive the answer of, "Merle Haggard." I come from a family of six, two sisters and a brother. Both sisters have beautiful voices and a brother who plays a mean guitar. My Mother can sing and play guitar as well. I my friends, am the odd ball. Oh, I sing... to myself, but that is the extent of my musical talent. I like to think of myself as more of a student of music and recollections of its storied past.

A song for you...



This guy is a what I call a reclusive musician, a musician at heart, in mind, body, and soul. What he lacks is the courage to embrace the mentality of, "fuck it, I'm playin' whether you fuckers like it or not! So listen up you sons of bitches," in order to share his talent in front of a live audience(s). The talent is apparent, unless you are a fuckin' idiot! His videos can be found exclusively on youtube under "DukeMac4" playing creative, low-fi, and low-down renditions of some good cover tunes. Some of his covers are half-ass, as they are only partially completed, but nevertheless, the music is good. Music isn't about makin' pretty videos, its about creatin' good music! Learn it, love it, live it! If you are fortunate enough to have gotten a hold of a few of his bootleg cover tunes in the form of mp3 format, good for you! I do tip my hat to him for postin' this video and his others on youtube. Hell, the talented singer/songwriter, Jackie Greene posts unplugged home videos of himself singin' and playin' guitar on youtube, so why the hell not!!!

If this mysterious musician ever gains the self-confidence needed to sit in a bar and/or a coffee house and play the tunes he knows, who knows... ... ...

youtube.com

4 comments:

  1. Keep em comin....love your post....you make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Black Crowe...raw wisdom without the bullshit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wait...Mom thinks you got it mixed up....raw bullshit without WISDOM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. next post should be your excercise routine:)

    ReplyDelete