Thursday, October 20, 2011

The accumulation of stuff...




So those who know me and know me all too well, may just say that I am a hoarder. To those who believe this, I say total fuckin' bullshit!!! I am eclectic! I have a fascination with all kinds of stuff. I'm not gonna lie, I like a variety of items rangin' from baseball cards to empty beer bottles to cigar boxes. I my friends, have spent the better part of my life accumulating a plethora of possessions, some near and dear to my heart and some with little or no meaning at all. My burnin' desire to collect and gather useless stuff is completely random. If somethin' catches my eye, I purchase it, pending approval and release of funds from my Chief Financial Advisor/Accountant/Trustee of the Bank Account.

Many women in committed relationships have elaborate sitting rooms, elegant formal and informal dining rooms, fully equipped kitchens, bountiful sewing rooms, craft rooms with enough ribbon to tie a bow around the planet, and libraries with every Daniel Steelbook ever written etc. All the fore mentioned rooms, are predominately decorated with a woman's touch. What should a man get as a consolation prize? And no, it's not a piece of ass! Every good man should be able to have a "Man Cave"!!!


Definition of a "Man Cave":

A Man Cave is a mutually agreed upon designated safe haven for those of the male gender to privately enjoy some of the finer things in life: relaxin', listenin' to music, and drinkin' good cold beer. It is a man's place to retreat to, unwind, collect his thoughts, and reflect upon the trials and tribulations of his everyday life.

Note: Definition taken from Black Crowe's Dictionary, currently out of print.




I have a "Man Cave" and I absolutely love it! It is the one place I have proudly decorated completely by myself. Hell, I may have stumbled upon a new career avenue to pursue, "Professional Man Cave Interior Designer Extraordinaire." Fuckin' genius!!! I am totally qualified!!!

A Man Cave is the crim de la crim of rooms for men! My Man Cave just happens to be a spacious multipurpose facility, serving as my garage, tool crib, and storage area. It is an office of sorts. Where do you think I conjure up these crazy ideas for blog posts? I think of a Man Cave as kind of like Custer's Last Stand, me being, Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer and my significant other being, the mighty Sioux Native American Warriors minus the bloody loss of Lt. Col. Custer and the men of the 7th Cavalry. A Man Cave is a man's last stronghold on what was once his glorious and esteemed bachelor pad and/or animal house.


The top ten things a good man cave should have:


1) A working refrigerator. Nothin' beats a cold beverage.
Here's a quote for ya with regards to drinkin' and minimizin' trips to the refrigerator...

"A beer in the back pocket is as good as a beer in the hand." - Black Crowe 10-16-11.

2) A working stereo. I prefer to have a cd player and ipod access for the maximum rock N roll experience.

3) Music. Lots of it! CDs and grip loads of tunes on the ipod. A variety of music is always good.

4) Chair(s). You need some kind of a seat(s) to gain the full relaxation effect. An old couch would be awesome, but lawn chairs will suffice. Seating allows you to relax, put a cold one in your hand, enjoy the freedom of your space, the fruits of your labor designin' and creatin' your pristine palace!

5) A dartboard. I prefer the electronic variety. These are especially great for when you have guests! Dartboards are also great to kill time while you are comin' up with an idea for the next addition(s) to your Man Cave.

6) Sports memorabilia. Support and show pride for your team(s)!

7) Miscellaneous shit hangin' and displayed on the walls. This stuff not only serves as decoration, but also provides good topics for conversation. Posters of naked women (if you are married, display at your own risk!), photographs, beer signs, sports memorabilia, antiques, concert posters etc. Small trinkets and odd ball items are good too. Shelves work well to better accentuate some of your more prized possessions.

9) A Television. This is the one item I do not have in my humble abode. I say 9 outta 10 ain't bad! Honestly, a TV is not required. For some, I can see it as a necessity, so to prevent those who need it from gettin' their panties in a wad, TV made the list.

8) Storage space. Do not be a fuckin' slob! Store your miscellaneous stuff where you can easily access it when needed. Note to self: Work on this, ZOINKS!!!

10) Cold alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages stocked in the refrigerator. Need I share with you what kind of beverages I prefer? I didn't think so!


Some ideas for your Man Cave: beer bottle collection, sports memorabilia, concert posters.


Miscellaneous stickers will transform a beat up refrigerator into a vibrant collage of memories.
I prefer stickers from various music artists I have seen perform live,
from shoe and clothing companies, and stickers from places I have been.


Dartboards are bitchin'! My suggestion is to mount your dartboard to a cork bulletin board to protect the wall from drunken stray flyin' darts.


"It's only rock 'n roll, but I like it, like it, yes, I do!" - Jagger/Richards


Beer signs make great additions to any Man Cave.


Parting thoughts...

The old saying, "One man's junk, is another man's treasure," is a true statement!!! The sky is the limit! Reach for the stars, spread your wings! Fly motherfucker! Fly!!! "To live is to fly" -Townes Van Zandt I apologize, I was feelin' inspirational for a moment. Good day.


Credit where credit is due:

"Stuff" cartoon image via:


Modified George Armstrong Custer poster image via:


All low-fi 1/2 assed photographs provided by Black Crowe.

Special thank yous:

Dartboard installation idea, my Dad's great idea. Thanks Dad.

Inspiration for designin' and creatin' my Man Cave, my Dad. Again, thank you Dad.

Funding and support for my Man Cave, my Hunny Bunny. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment